Sunday, November 17, 2013

It's the little things that add up.

We've finally reached the point in our wedding process where we're starting to actually buy things for the wedding, honeymoon, and the Seattle celebration, and I'm starting to realize that, if I don't stay organized, something crucial is going to get left behind. This is the great peril of traveling across the country for a wedding. Of course, the other side of this coin is that we're also starting to spend money out of the wedding fund on various little things, and, as it turns out, lots of little things add up.

Just as lots of little robot lions add up to become Voltron.
For example, like all good Seattleites, Girl Scout Fiancée and I are iPhone users (and, in fact, just this weekend the two of us upgraded to the iPhone 5S). I have a feeling that at Disney World we're going to be using our phones a lot, especially with the MyDisneyExperience app letting us do things like track wait times for rides, manage the FastPass+ and dining reservations we've made, etc. Not to mention snapping photos, entertaining ourselves while waiting in line, and the like. All of those things are battery drainers, so this week I ordered us a backup battery to take with us and keep in Girl Scout Fiancée's purse so we can throw a dying phone on to charge and keep it with us instead of trying to find a place to stop and plug into a wall outlet.

This image by Nathan Pyle illustrates the true gravity of the dying phone battery situation.
Then I realized I'm going to need at least three pairs of shoes for the trip. I'm going to have to bring some comfy walking around shoes for the parks, I'm going to want to bring my running shoes in case I do get motivated to get up and work out in the morning, and I'm going to need to bring my fancy shoes for the wedding. That doesn't even take into account that I might want to bring a fourth set of shoes, more traditionally dressy than the ones I'm going to wear in the wedding, for the nights we go to California Grill, Victoria & Albert's, or even places like Jiko or Yachtsman. What planet are we living on that I have to think about four pairs of shoes? Up until last week (when, for the first time ever, I finally got myself a pair of Chuck Taylor All-Stars) I'd worn the same pair of sneakers every day since last March. My friends and Girl Scout Fiancée would be the first ones to tell you that I'm about as far as you can get from being labeled fashion-conscious; fashion-unconscious might be better, as it usually looks like I was asleep while getting dressed.

Then there's the cavalcade of physically tiny objects that I have to remember to bring along. Annual Pass vouchers, bow tie, cell phone cables, earbuds, Magic Bands, FitBits, belt buckles, the wedding rings...all of these things fit in the palm of my hand, which means it's just that much more likely that I'm going to overlook one of them when we start getting ready to leave. I know it's mildly insane, but I feel like I should just start a packing list now, and add things to it over the next few months every time something pops up. I don't want anything to get forgotten, because once we step onto the airplane at SeaTac headed to our wedding, I don't want us to be doing anything but enjoying ourselves. I know the honeymoon technically doesn't start until after the wedding, but given the amount of planning, saving, and denying ourselves things like vacations and new toys* for the last six months, the moment we depart for Florida is, as far as I'm concerned, not only the beginning of the rest of my life with my wonderful Disney-wife-to-be, but also the first moments of a 15-day vacation, one that, by the end of April, I'm going to sorely need.

I'm on vacation, I don't care which elbow is in whose ear.
*Yes, I realize that I just said that we each got a new iPhone 5S, but thanks to the magic of Amazon.com's trade-in program, we got as much Amazon credit for our old iPhone 4Ses as the new phones cost. Given that we're going to be ordering a lot of the supplies for our Seattle celebration from Amazon, we'll be able to use that Amazon credit toward our wedding. So, we get new phones, and the same amount is put toward our Seattle celebration expenses. I'm going to call that a pretty good deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment